Xbox Series Sales in Europe Slump, While PS5 and Nintendo Switch Thrive
The latest data from the European video games tracking chart GSD reveals a notable shift in console sales. While the previous year saw strong Xbox Series sales, this year tells a different story. On the other hand, the PS5 and Nintendo Switch experienced significant boosts in sales.
According to GamesIndustry.biz, Xbox Series X|S sales have decreased by 52% compared to last year. This decline is not exclusive to Xbox, as the Nintendo Switch also saw a decrease of 20% in sales when compared to October of the previous year. In contrast, PS5 sales skyrocketed by a staggering 143% in the same period.
The surge in PS5 sales can be attributed to the release of highly anticipated games such as Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder. In fact, September 2023 saw an increase of 11% in PS5 sales, while the Nintendo Switch saw a 10% rise. However, Xbox Series sales took a hit and dropped by about 20% compared to the previous month.
As the month of November continues, the console war between Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft intensifies with the advent of Black Friday and Cyber Monday discounts. It remains to be seen which console will come out on top during this highly competitive period.
Shifting the focus to software sales, it’s worth noting that EA Sports FC 24 claimed the title of the best-selling game in October 2023. Assassin’s Creed Mirage followed closely behind in second place, while Spider-Man 2 secured the third spot. Although Spider-Man 2 launched two weeks prior to its predecessor, it still managed to surpass sales of both the original Spider-Man game and Miles Morales.
Comparing the sales of Spider-Man 2 to another highly anticipated title, God of War Ragnarok, reveals interesting insights. Spider-Man 2 sold 28% less than Ragnarok in the first two weeks. However, it should be noted that Ragnarok was also released on the PS4. When considering just PS5 sales, Spider-Man 2 actually outperformed Ragnarok by 8% in Europe after two weeks.
The GSD data includes digital sales from various platforms such as Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Nintendo eShop. Major companies like Activision Blizzard, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, and many others contribute to the data. Notably absent from the participating companies are Nintendo and 505 Games, as well as smaller studios.
In conclusion, the European console market has experienced a significant shift in sales, with Xbox Series struggling to maintain its momentum while the PS5 and Nintendo Switch thrive. The battle between the three major players will intensify during the holiday season, as consumers eagerly take advantage of Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals.
1. What is the European video game tracking chart GSD?
GSD stands for Game Sales Data, and it is a tracking chart that provides information on video game sales in Europe.
2. What has been the trend in console sales in Europe?
There has been a notable shift in console sales in Europe. While Xbox Series sales have decreased by 52% compared to the previous year, PS5 sales have skyrocketed by 143% and the Nintendo Switch has also experienced a significant boost in sales.
3. What could be the reason for the surge in PS5 sales?
The release of highly anticipated games such as Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder has contributed to the surge in PS5 sales.
4. How are the sales of Xbox Series X|S, PS5, and Nintendo Switch compared?
In October 2023, Xbox Series X|S sales decreased by 52%, Nintendo Switch sales decreased by 20%, and PS5 sales increased by 143% compared to the previous year.
5. What are the best-selling games in October 2023?
The best-selling game in October 2023 was EA Sports FC 24, followed by Assassin’s Creed Mirage and Spider-Man 2.
6. How does the sales of Spider-Man 2 compare to God of War Ragnarok?
Spider-Man 2 sold 28% less than Ragnarok in the first two weeks overall, but when considering just PS5 sales, Spider-Man 2 outperformed Ragnarok by 8% in Europe after two weeks.
7. Which platforms are included in the GSD data?
The GSD data includes digital sales from platforms such as Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Nintendo eShop.
8. Which companies contribute to the GSD data?
Major companies like Activision Blizzard, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, and many others contribute to the GSD data. However, Nintendo and 505 Games, as well as smaller studios, are notably absent from the participating companies.
9. What can be expected during the holiday season?
The battle between Xbox Series, PS5, and Nintendo Switch will intensify during the holiday season as consumers take advantage of Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals.
– GSD: Game Sales Data, a tracking chart that provides information on video game sales in Europe.
– Xbox Series X|S: The latest generation of Xbox consoles, including the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
– PS5: PlayStation 5, the latest generation of Sony’s PlayStation console.
– Nintendo Switch: A hybrid gaming console by Nintendo that can be used both as a handheld device and as a traditional home console.
– Black Friday: The day following Thanksgiving in the United States, which marks the beginning of the Christmas shopping season and is associated with significant discounts and sales.
– Cyber Monday: The Monday following Thanksgiving, when online retailers offer special deals and discounts.