The Witcher Games Now Compatible with Apple Silicon – A Step Forward for Mac Gaming
The latest update from CD Projekt Red has brought exciting news for Mac gamers. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are now fully compatible with Apple Silicon, allowing users to download the updated versions on platforms like Steam and GOG. This unexpected announcement brings a significant development in the world of gaming on Mac, especially considering that these two titles were not originally listed among the games expected to support Apple Silicon by the end of the year.
To make these games compatible with the new ARM processors and macOS Ventura, CD Projekt Red had to update the game’s requirements. Players will now need macOS 11.0 to enjoy these titles. However, users with older Intel-based computers can still play the game by keeping the current version and avoiding automatic updates. This requirement change is mainly due to the utilization of macOS Monterey’s features such as the JIT-compatible memory management and the Apple framework for Game Controller handling, both essential updates for supporting Apple Silicon.
It will be fascinating to understand how the Polish software house managed this update. Apple, known for favoring native development over emulation, has created the Game Porting Toolkit to assist game developers in porting DirectX 12 games to Metal. While Apple encourages native game development, it does not prohibit the use of the toolkit for real-time interpretation, similar to how Crossover operates. We have witnessed The Witcher 3 running smoothly with excellent quality on Apple Silicon through Crossover, suggesting that these two newly updated versions might not be entirely native but partially emulated. The question remains: are The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings fully native or emulated using the Game Porting Toolkit? Soon, we will find out.
The bottom line is that this announcement signifies a significant step in the Mac gaming landscape. It demonstrates that progress is being made in the world of gaming on Apple’s operating system, promising a brighter future for gamers who have chosen Mac as their platform of choice.
1. What games are now fully compatible with Apple Silicon on Mac?
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are now fully compatible with Apple Silicon on Mac.
2. Where can I download the updated versions of these games?
You can download the updated versions of these games on platforms like Steam and GOG.
3. What is the requirement to enjoy these titles?
Players will need macOS 11.0 to enjoy these titles.
4. Can I still play the games on older Intel-based computers?
Yes, users with older Intel-based computers can still play the game by keeping the current version and avoiding automatic updates.
5. Why did the requirements change?
The requirements changed to support the new ARM processors and macOS Ventura, utilizing macOS Monterey’s features such as JIT-compatible memory management and the Apple framework for Game Controller handling.
6. Are these games fully native or emulated?
It is not yet clear whether The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are fully native or emulated using the Game Porting Toolkit. More information will be available soon.
1. Apple Silicon – Apple’s own line of system-on-a-chip (SoC) processors used in their Mac computers, featuring ARM architecture. [Source: apple.com]
2. macOS Ventura – The latest version of Apple’s Mac operating system, also known as macOS 11.0. [Source: apple.com]
3. Steam – A digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation for purchasing and playing video games. [Source: steampowered.com/about]
4. GOG – A digital distribution platform for video games and films, known for its DRM-free approach. [Source: gog.com/about]
5. DirectX 12 – A collection of APIs for handling multimedia tasks, particularly for gaming and video, on Microsoft platforms. [Source: microsoft.com]
6. Metal – Apple’s low-level graphics and compute API used for developing applications on iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. [Source: developer.apple.com/metal]
Suggested Related Links:
1. apple.com/macos – Official website for macOS, where you can find information and updates on the latest versions of Apple’s Mac operating system.
2. steampowered.com – Steam’s official website, where you can discover and purchase a wide range of games for various platforms.
3. gog.com – The official website of GOG, a digital distribution platform offering DRM-free games and films.
4. microsoft.com/direct3d12 – Microsoft’s documentation on DirectX 12, providing an overview and technical details about this collection of APIs.
5. developer.apple.com/metal – Apple’s official resource for developers interested in Metal, their low-level graphics and compute API.