CD Projekt RED: Pushing the Boundaries of Technology and Ambition
After the successful release of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty and Update 2.0, CD Projekt RED has once again demonstrated its ability to elevate the game’s visuals to new heights. This achievement was made possible by additions like NVIDIA DLSS 3.5 (Ray Reconstruction), which enhanced the already stunning graphics of the base game. However, there are still other fascinating tech-related topics worth exploring.
We reached out to CD Projekt RED for a follow-up interview to discuss their ongoing projects, including the highly anticipated implementation of AMD FSR 3 and the transition from the RED Engine to Unreal Engine 5. Jakub Knapik, the Global Art Director at CD Projekt RED, shared some insights on these subjects.
Regarding Opacity Micro-Maps and Displaced Micro-Mesh, Knapik explained that while Micro-Mesh technology is indeed fascinating, it requires significant changes to the asset pipeline. With the game already being massive and nearly three years old, the team aims to focus on delivering measurable visual and performance gains without requiring a massive rework of the content. As a result, Micro-Maps were implemented and released with Phantom Liberty, offering improvements without overwhelming resource demands.
On the topic of Path Tracing, Knapik assured us that CD Projekt RED is still dedicated to refining this feature. They have focused specifically on low-light image stability and overall image quality, implementing a quality booster for indirect calculations to address issues such as “boiling” and blurriness. Additionally, they worked on improving character rendering, resulting in a stable and visually mature solution.
Addressing concerns about the newly added DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction, Knapik emphasized that the team has prioritized enhancing the quality of their RT: Overdrive mode. They have been making significant progress in this area and look forward to sharing their advancements with the community soon.
As for the highly anticipated AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 3, Knapik confirmed that CD Projekt RED is actively working on a full implementation. However, he refrained from providing a specific ETA, emphasizing the team’s dedication to delivering the desired outcome.
Lastly, the announcement of the engine switch to Unreal Engine 5 has raised some doubts within the gaming community. Knapik acknowledged the challenges the team may face with this transition but assured fans that their ambition and dedication remain unchanged. CD Projekt RED is known for pushing technological boundaries and creating games with exceptional storytelling and visual quality. Their strong partnerships with industry leaders, such as NVIDIA, have yielded remarkable results, as demonstrated by the recent Path Tracing implementation. Knapik expressed confidence that the transition to Unreal Engine 5 will not impede their ability to continue delivering cutting-edge features and breathtaking experiences to their players.
CD Projekt RED’s commitment to innovation and their unwavering passion for creating unforgettable games reassure us that they will continue to push the boundaries of technology and ambition. As fans eagerly await their future endeavors, there is no doubt that CD Projekt RED will once again captivate players with their remarkable creations.
1. What is NVIDIA DLSS 3.5 (Ray Reconstruction) and how does it enhance game graphics?
NVIDIA DLSS 3.5 (Ray Reconstruction) is a technology that enhances game graphics by using AI-powered image reconstruction techniques. It improves the quality and performance of visuals in Cyberpunk 2077.
2. What are Opacity Micro-Maps and Displaced Micro-Mesh?
Opacity Micro-Maps and Displaced Micro-Mesh are technologies used in game development. Opacity Micro-Maps provide improvements in visuals without requiring massive changes to the content, while Displaced Micro-Mesh requires significant changes to the asset pipeline.
3. What improvements were made to Path Tracing in Cyberpunk 2077?
CD Projekt RED focused on improving low-light image stability and overall image quality in Path Tracing. They implemented a quality booster for indirect calculations to address issues like “boiling” and blurriness. They also worked on improving character rendering.
4. What is RT: Overdrive mode and how is CD Projekt RED enhancing its quality?
RT: Overdrive is a mode in Cyberpunk 2077 that utilizes DLSS technology. CD Projekt RED has prioritized enhancing the quality of this mode, and they have made significant progress in this area.
5. What is AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 and when can we expect its implementation in Cyberpunk 2077?
AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 is an upcoming technology that enhances game graphics. CD Projekt RED is actively working on implementing it but did not provide a specific ETA.
6. What is the transition from RED Engine to Unreal Engine 5?
CD Projekt RED is transitioning from using the RED Engine to the Unreal Engine 5 for their future projects. While this transition may pose challenges, the team is confident that it will not impede their ability to deliver cutting-edge features and experiences to players.
– NVIDIA DLSS 3.5 (Ray Reconstruction): AI-powered image reconstruction technology that enhances game graphics.
– Opacity Micro-Maps: Technology that provides visual improvements without requiring significant changes to game content.
– Displaced Micro-Mesh: Technology that requires significant changes to the asset pipeline in game development.
– Path Tracing: A rendering technique used to create realistic lighting effects in virtual environments.
– RT: Overdrive: A mode in Cyberpunk 2077 that utilizes DLSS technology.
– AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 3: An upcoming technology that enhances game graphics.
– RED Engine: The proprietary game engine developed by CD Projekt RED.
– Unreal Engine 5: A popular game engine developed by Epic Games.